FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]
Old May 29, 2017, 9:50 am
inet32

Originally Posted by Himeno
Do these idiots in DHS even understand the concept that no one wants to bomb aircraft anymore.
I don't know about that. From Wikipedia:
29 October 2010 Cargo planes bomb plot A failed al-Qaeda plastic-explosive bombing attempt on a UPS and a FedEx cargo plane bound to the United States. The bombs, concealed in packages originating in Yemen, were discovered at stop-overs a result of shared intelligence. It is believed the bombs were intended to be detonated over a US city.[11] 0

31 October 2015 Metrojet Flight 9268 An Airbus A321 flying from Egypt to Saint Petersburg broke-up above the Sinai, killing everyone on board, becoming the deadliest air disaster in Russian history. ISIL claimed responsibility. Russian investigators found explosive residue and Egyptian authorities agreed it was a terrorist act.

2 February 2016 Daallo Airlines Flight 159
An Airbus A321 suffered an explosion shortly after taking off from Mogadishu, opening a hole in the fuselage through which the burnt body of the suicide bomber fell. The airliner was able to safely conduct an emergency landing. Militant group Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility

... I think the threat is real enough; I just don't have any confidence that HSA/TSA's proposals net out to overall better safety.