FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaman, Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread] [CLOSED DUE TO FIRE JAN 2021]
Old May 29, 2017, 2:54 am
nldogbert

Originally Posted by LAXGUY
I second estnet's comment. There is no nearby town and on our drive around the island we did not see a hawker center. There are several very good restaurants each at both the Andaman and the Datai, each with a totally different menu, i.e. Thai, Malaysian, seafood, etc., and you can charge all of them to your room at the Andaman. None are inexpensive but the alternative is to take a minimum 20 minute taxi ride each way if your goal is to save $$ on meals. We tried and failed to find a good restaurant frequented by locals.
Second the info above. Even with a car, you will need to drive at least 20 km away to find at least something decent. Best bet is around the town of Kuah where you can find a couple of restaurants.
Depending on what type of food you are looking for - for Malay, these are somewhat easier to find around the villages compared to if you want Chinese/Western. Closes to the hotel is the Telaga harbour complex, about 15-20 mins drive from the hotel (depends how fast you drive) - though food @ the Chinese restaurant here is best average (and on the $$ side compared to the normal one)
There is no real "hawker center" in the are these "hawker" type stalls are located in a restaurant - I hope you know what I mean.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!