FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CX New strategy rollout in 2017
View Single Post
Old May 29, 2017, 12:22 am
Rivarix

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
OT : I wonder whats gonna happen now to those who moved to AA after they announced their program changes.
I'm one of those folks as well. I moved after CX announced MPC changes (but before AA made theirs) and I'm still happy with my decision. I think I'm one of the few that ditch both MPC and CX. I used to fly CX J religiously on my flights to/from SE Asia (3-4x a year). These days it is mostly QR and AY with CX regionally if I need to be in HKG.

The whining you hear on the web about AA changes are mostly from those that earn their miles through credit-card or cheap mileage runs. I think those of us who moved from MPC have many non-AA international flights to begin with so the impact of AA changes are minimal at best. As an example, I'm flying AY J in to Asia in couple of weeks and in terms of redeemable miles, it's either: AM 125% miles flown vs. AA 320% miles flown (100% miles flown + 100% J cabin bonus + 120% AA OWE status bonus). So it's no brainer for me to stick with AA. Even for US domestic Y flights, I get around AA $-based earning and still get >100% miles flown by buying bulk fares.

So no matter how you slice and dice it, earnings (both status and redeemable miles) are still better w/ AA. In term of redemption chart, I think the two are currently somewhat similar but as sxc and Nicc HK reminded me, AA recently devalued its chart while AM hasn't devalued its chart in like 10+ years? If there's anything certain in this world, its death and taxes and miles devaluation. SQ recently devalued KF chart ... AM next?

I did contemplate returning to MPC because CX GOs and DMs have access to AA flagship lounges but after CX sudden devaluation of AA Y earnings (as of 1 May), I'm definitely staying with AA.