FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Very concerned about drones in Maldives
View Single Post
Old May 28, 2017, 1:17 pm
Kagehitokiri
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...-Maldives.html

Gili does not allow them. I asked Brad the resort manager what the drone policy was and he said they don't allow them for 3 reasons, one of them i don't wanna get into discussion since it might scare ppl. I hadn't thought of that myself...should they get taken away at customs it wld correlate with what they told me at Gili why.
Drones in the Maldives - privacy. There seems to be a big increase in videos that contain drone footage.
There was a fairly active thread about this quite recently and concerns were expressed
We later found out they were from the hotel!
we will be very careful to minimise drone footage. However we do not flight them over bathrooms and do on a very rare basis. This is required at time to highlight snorkelling channels, so not to stand on coral and show water currents and associated risks. In fact we were shooting this for two key videos. 1. Was specifically toward Chinese tourist and water safety which is targeted for all Maldives Chinese visitors as we have a very low number of Chinese guests.

Sunny regards, J
K urumba Maldives
We saw a near accident caused by a lunatic guest flying one. He was using it more like one of those model aeroplanes that enthusiasts normally fly over open fields. It came so close to the guy driving the buggy he was distracted and drove over a rock almost overturning.
I was chilling out on my deck and opened my eyes to it hovering over me.
Drones are gradually being banned in the Maldives, island by island
cnn.com/2015/05/31/entertainment/enrique-iglesias-drone-feat/
Spanish pop star Enrique Iglesias is seeking treatment after a drone cut his hand
thenational.ae/uae/sale-of-recreational-drones-banned-in-abu-dhabi
In January, air traffic was suspended at Dubai International Airport after reports that drones were being flown dangerously close to planes...Laws to regulate the weight and use of drones are to be announced soon, the state news agency Wam reported. People may still be allowed to use drones if they have obtained government approval.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 28, 2017 at 1:58 pm