FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are CX lounges the PP lounges of OneWorld?
Old May 28, 2017, 12:36 pm
d00t

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
An AA EXP who is flying on paid CX Y/J/F is contributing to CX for their distinct lounge visit on their ticket as much as a CX Diamond flying in Y/J/F, no?

AA and MH have a very small number of flights out of HKG compared to CX (BA/JL as well, QF has their own lounges), so you would have to think the number of OWE/OWS pax in Y that are not CX elites is fairly small. I suggest the real way to reduce J lounge crowding would be eliminating J lounge access when not in the J cabin, and having a separate Y lounge for elites, similar to what SQ does.
I might suggest any perceived HKG overcrowding is due to everyone and their dog having free lounge through the CX Amex.

In HKG, the CX lounge revenue business is huge. This is one reason why Qantas improved their lounge a couple years ago despite only a few daily flights. It's to prevent anyone flying Qantas preferring to visit CX lounges where QF would incur a fee.

Pax can be valuable to an airline in a number of ways, either through paid J/F, Bank miles transfers/co-brands etc. There is no right or wrong way where the airline should be actively reverse-discriminating against any form of high-value pax.

I mean, think about it. If lounges are crowded. That is a good problem for the lounge owner.

HKG has no shortage of lounge options, either. Sure beats the heck out of most other airports around the world.