FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 27 May BA IT outage miscellaneous discussions thread
Old May 28, 2017, 6:50 am
T8191
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Customer Care, 19 May 1974. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ents_in_London

I had entered LHR T1 about 5 minutes before the bomb went off*. A loud explosion, the glass walls facing the car park came crashing down. Everyone was evactuated to an apron corner to the left of the building. It was a hot day. Within 30 minutes or so there were staff going around with paper bags (remember those?) of luscious red cherries ... I can only assume someone went to a greengrocer to buy them. This was, of course, before 500ml plastic bottles of water were invented!

IIRC we were stuck, standing, out there for a couple of hours before the environment had been cleared and we were relased back into the wild. I recall being impressed by the tactical thinking, and the attempt to care for a couple of hundred people being gently roasted on the ramp in hot sunshine

* My car was parked on the deck above the bomb vehicle, directly above it! It had clearly got airborne, as the suspension was 'tucked in' and thee was a perfect silhouette of my Saab 96 drawn in dirt/rust on the garage floor