FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lounge Access; help me wrap my head around this
Old May 26, 2017, 8:20 am
gooselee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by slutide
Just keep in mind the the BA and Air France lounges at IAD don't allow in Priority Pass holders during the evening hours when their flights are departing. The Turkish lounge doesn't have a similar policy.
I was about to caution OP about the limited hours of the BA and AF lounges at IAD. Many, many times I've been leaving there after work and unable to access them because they exclude PP members after 2 or 3pm each day.

BUT, I had not heard about the new TK lounge until now, and it appears that it's even more convenient to the usual DL gates than AF/BA. If so, that is a great addition!

OP, you don't mention where your usual destinations are other than simply "domestic". If you have some regular destinations, that might help with recommendations, too. I say this because even though I'm deeply familiar with the lounge options at my home airport, I tend to use them far less because I can time my arrival at the airport well enough that I'm not spending a ton of time waiting around.

If you often have connections, I'm assuming most of them are in places like ATL/DTW/MSP that, as DL hubs, will always have relatively solid DL lounges.

All things considered, I would also throw in a recommendation for the unbranded Amex Plat. Particularly if 95% of your flying is on DL, that card will get you into a DL lounge on nearly all of your trips, provided a lounge is available. When a DL lounge isn't available, or when you're not on DL, you'll have Priority Pass, Centurion, Escape, etc. to fall back to. WRT lounge access this is the main advantage of the unbranded Plat Amex vs. the DL Reserve Amex (which provides access to ONLY DL lounges, and ONLY when flying DL). Combined, that should cover 99% of your travels based on the pattern you describe.

There are of course many other perks/differences between the two cards unrelated to lounge access, but if you look up those two cards on the Amex website you can make the full evaluation for yourself.

The other bonus to getting access via a credit card - if you do happen to reach DM status, you can now actually forego the SkyClub membership and just select another Choice Benefit - so by having one of the cards, you're not going to be "wasting" a perk of either your status or the very expensive credit card.

One final thing OP doesn't mention is whether he/she regularly travels with guests. If so, it's important to note that bringing guests carries an additional fee with most of the access methods discussed. All of my comments are just thinking about OP travelling solo.