FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What constitutes "a daily choice of breakfast"?
Old May 26, 2017, 7:13 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoPhils
So does the seemingly-implied full breakfast in Europe count as an "exception outlined above," or are they just referring to the hotels that do not offer any breakfast at all?
Do you understand the origin of the term "continental" as applied to breakfast? Guess which "continent" it refers to? Europe, of course (the mainland, ie, not counting the British Isles or Scandinavia). So perhaps Marriott knows that, and figured the term "continental" breakfast is only used outside of Europe, and that it shouldn't be used within Europe (and thus in a description of what you get in Europe)?

I presume it refers to the breakfasts that are typical in southern Europe, which are cold and often limited to something like breads and spreads for them (that's certainly what I got in small indie hotels in Italy).

But I doubt the people in the areas of "mainland" Europe where continental breakfasts rule call them "continental".