FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QR DOH-USA flights: electronic devices permitted on ALL flights
Old May 25, 2017, 10:07 am
C17PSGR

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
As an update on the latest ...

I recently traveled on a QR trip from an out station in Asia to Doha to LAX in J. When I checked in at the out station, they asked if I had an electronics and whether I would prefer to check in my electronics there or in Doha. I indicated I would check them in Doha. There was no pushback.

In Doha, as others have described, they have a laptop packing operation by the gate. Basically, they wrap the laptops in a box, then seal then in a plastic bag with a seal, give a receipt, and also tag with a First tag for those in J or F. I then went through the security at the gate, turned in the box, and received a bag tag. When that bag tag was loaded on the plane, I received an alert on the QR app.

On board in J, I requested a laptop and received an HP Probook. I think I was the only one who did so. The computer was locked down and there was a notice that everything would be wiped when the computer was shut down. The PC had a Windows 10 OS with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. It was fine and I worked/saved documents from a flash drive. Now ... if there was internet on the 77L

When arriving in LA, I proceeded to customs. There were two Qatar reps who had a printed list on a clipboard with all the electronic tags. There was a slight delay on the laptops coming out because there were sent to secondary screening. As the bags came out, the two reps took control of them. You would then need to find your bag (there were 30 or so in plastic bags with labels inside -- thankfully, only a handful had First class baggage tags on them). They would check the baggage claim against your and have you sign on the printed list next to your name and baggage tag. Control seemed pretty good. If I did this again, I might see if I could do something to make my plastic bag stick out so I could find it quicker among the rest. Maybe a colored sticker?

All in all, the organization was pretty professional.