FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later
Old May 25, 2017, 9:51 am
pdxasflyer

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
That's the concept. I've done it with AA and BA currency several times, though technically have yet to do it with AS. It's primarily relevant when you're taking a long layover, as that increases the likelihood that F awards are released between the short-haul and long-haul segments (such as when I take a HKG layover after landing from DPS).

So while I technically haven't done it with AS, your price points are correct and the advice is hopefully still valuable.
Thanks. Advice is good and helpful. In our situation, if any additional seats open up, that should happen before we begin our return itinerary. That said, our return has a stop in HKG of 3 days, so there is a chance your concept might be employed. We are thinking of shortening that stop at the very end (moving the second return HKGUSA segment up by 1,2 or 3 days), which would necessitate the need to use your strategy, assuming CX didn't open up more seats ahead of T-3 days.

Thanks again!