FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [FARE GONE] Ek mle-nyc 101 ow / 141 rt
View Single Post
Old May 25, 2017, 9:49 am
phatjoe

Here was my exact complaint to DOT:

"Description of Problem/Inquiry/Comment:
I purchased two one-way tickets from MLE to XXX through Emirates since the fare was low and affordable. However, Emirates has cancelled my booking without giving notice. Now they are claiming it was a mistake fare so they have cancelled the booking.

This was DOT's response:

"Based on the information you have provided, your complaint appears to fall under the Department's rules. We will forward your complaint to the airline and ask the company to respond directly to you with a copy to us. Airlines are required to acknowledge receipt of a consumer complaint within 30 days and provide a substantive response to the complainant within 60 days. We will review the airline's response."

I believe the amount of complaints that DOT received resulted in the honoring of the fair.

Dansdeals agrees:

The DoT Campaign Worked, Emirates Reverses Course And Will Honor Maldives Bookings!

Last Wednesday I noted that Emirates had tickets from the Maldives to Europe for $64 or to the US for $100 one-way or $142 round-trip.

Last Friday Emirates decided not to honor the tickets and sent out cancellation emails, when I advised people to write to the DoT.

The DoT responded to people on Monday that their complaints did fall under DoT rules and that they were taking up the case. The DoT makes special rules to keep airlines in check, as in general the public can’t sue an airline in court due to the deregulation act.

The Wall Street Journal even picked up the story and noted that this website encouraged people to reach out to a higher authority-the DoT.

Originally Posted by CDKing
Interesting. Probably didn't want to cover the non-refundable expenses due to TPG telling people to book separate tickets on Aeroloft. DOT has already stated they will not be forcing obvious mistakes so its something else that is causing them to honor.