FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]
Old May 24, 2017, 9:55 pm
notquiteaff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Yet governments focus on air travel threats, such as modified electronics, based on an assumption that terrorists are concentrating on air travel, rather than on things that are really "day to day life" for most people. Or maybe it's just easier for governments to be seen to be "doing something" by adding more layers of security at airports than dealing with the underlying problem of terrorism.
Yes. I am a flyertalker and fly more than than my friends and family, but I still probably spend more time overall in crowded spaces that are soft targets. Can't wait to see bag searches at the doors of supermarkets and malls.

It's not just the government that is "obsessing" about airliner crashes (whether accidents or terrorism or mysteries). 40,000 people died on US roads last year. That's about 110 per day. Or close to a United A319 or Boeing 737-700.... every.single.day. Plane crashes get wall-to-wall coverage on all news channels. Car accidents generally don't. What is it about airplanes that makes deaths so much more sad/interesting/newsworthy when the person was in a plane?