FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Odds of some sort of upgrade available SFO - FRA and LHR-SFO
Old May 24, 2017, 7:54 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bpratt
not sure what other info you would like to know. I'm trying to get anecdotal feedback on the chances of being offered time of checkin upgrades and/or having mileage upgrades clear (for a silver on a V fare) on two specific routes, SFO - FRA and LHR - SFO. The leg to FRA is on a Sunday and the return from LHR is on a Monday, but I didn't think that was terribly important to the question.
Actually, the day of week is exceedingly important in terms of clearing upgrades, but I think that response was written while you were editing your question.

The best answer I can give you is, that if J doesn't fill, you'll get a buy-up option at check-in, and if R space is available on your flight, a miles + copay upgrade would clear immediately. Besides that, I'd monitor the price of the ticket and see if it goes on sale, at which point you can call United and change to business. (Refer to GG BUYUP and they should waive the co-pay when buying up to a higher cabin).