FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Odds of some sort of upgrade available SFO - FRA and LHR-SFO
Old May 24, 2017, 7:33 pm
bpratt

Programs: United Platinum
Odds of some sort of upgrade available SFO - FRA and LHR-SFO

(mods, I couldn't find an appropriate uber-thread searching on my phone but if there is one I missed feel free to merge this)

I've got to fly SFO-FRA in mid-June, returning LHR-SFO near the end of the month. Unfortunately my company will only pay for coach, so both are V-class fares and thanks to less travel I'm a lowly silver these days. I really want to avoid flying these legs in coach, but the price difference is about $6K round trip.

Anyone with more experience on these legs want to speculate on the chances of either a miles and co-pay upgrade OR a cash at check-in upgrade offer being available both ways?

I know it's prime summer travel season to Europe, and there are no guarantees, but if that odds are pretty good of getting a $1500-2000 upgrade offer at check in, or a miles upgrade clearing before that I'll roll the dice. On the other hand, if both are those are very unlikely then I'll just spend the $6K up front and not worry about it. I just don't want to waste a couple of grand if the odds of a paid upgrade are very good (difference between 2K each way to upgrade vs 6K more to just buy the J class ticket).

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions.

Bob

Last edited by bpratt; May 24, 2017 at 7:40 pm Reason: Hit submit too soon