FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Adding Post-Purchase Comfort+, FC Upgrade Purchases
Old May 24, 2017, 5:41 pm
gooselee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
My reading of this is that if you "opt out" you are not opting out from being upgraded but instead you are opting out from being automatically re-seated, even though your ticket would still be cleared for upgrade. When you are cleared during the upgrade window, and you have also "opted out," you are then able to go into the seat map and either:

1) Remain in your current seat (Y or C+)/class of service (even though you've been upgraded)

or

2) manually select a new seat in the upgraded class you have been cleared into.

If this did not lower my priority I would actually like this a lot, because there are certain C+ seats that I prefer over certain F seats, and there are times I only want to be upgraded if I can remain with someone I am traveling with on a separate pnr, etc. In other words, there are times when I only want the upgrade on a flight if certain other parameters are met.

What is not clear is what will happen when someone is upgraded and does not select a seat in F: When does that inventory become available for others to use? At the gate? If a DM is upgraded 5 days out but has opted out, and does not move, can an FO have that inventory at 24 hours, or does the DM retain that inventory throughout the window until the gate?

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding this?
I don't think that's right, based on the fact that none of the language re: UG preferences in my DL.com or PNRs changed, and the very good point that an upgraded pax choosing to remain in a lower class of service would cause lots of confusion with inventory and seat assignments in both cabins.

Either this wasn't fully thought through, or the marketing comms folks at DL are as confused as the rest of us. Maybe both.