FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]
Old May 24, 2017, 4:26 pm
guflyer

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP

Looking at some of the articles recently posted, I think it is a foregone conclusion that the question is not if a ban is coming but when. The articles have indicated that the discussions were related to "technical implementation" of a ban. The Reuters article that indicated that there would be a three week advance notice on the ban indicates to me that there is a desire on both sides to make sure that people are not blindsided by the ban and that they have time to make appropriate arrangements. It also confirms to me, that it is likely the ban will extend to hold baggage as well. If hold baggage wasn't an issue, then i am almost 100% sure this would have been implemented already. Giving a three week notice of an upcoming change gives most folks who have already left before an announcement a chance to get back from a trip without having to leave things behind. (Sure there will be folks who get stuck by the rules, but i would figure the number would be low). It would also give folks a chance to adequately prepare for future trips.
1. If it is in the hold as well, this means that those who need electronics for work often have no viable way of transporting their equipment. Do you think that this will go through?

2. Are the other options that you discussed earlier (such as one laptop and one phone, which you thought was the most likely possibility) still options, or did these go away?