FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Do 2017 BRW Summer Solstice under the Midnight Sun [June 20-23, 2017]
Old May 24, 2017, 12:05 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by tanzaniancane
I just realized that I will be in Alaska with my wife from Jun 20-27th, and this happens to fall on the same time as the DO! I have never been to an FT DO and have always wanted to. I have a refundable RV for the week as we were planning on doing ANC-Denali-Fairbanks-paxson-anchorage for the week.

Now, I am having some serious thoughts of joining the DO!

Since I am late to the party - I would have to get in on AS 50 at 6:13pm. Return flights on 6/21 from BRW-ANC are 350pp or 17.5k miles pp. This is a little steep in my opinion.

I wanted to gather some thoughts from others - worth trying to change plans? On the one hand, I doubt I would make it to Barrow otherwise, especially during Summer Solstice. On the other hand, paying over 500pp just for flights stings a lot.

Anyone have thoughts?
How much room does the RV have? Maybe beckoa should change the itinerary and we go to Denali and Paxson with you instead.

17.5K is steep, but it works out to a value of 2.0 cents per mile, so it's still a decent-value redemption, more than I think AS miles are typically worth...