FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA Plans to Limit PreCheck to Enrolled Trusted Travelers
Old May 23, 2017, 11:23 am
Carl Johnson

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'd be willing to pay double for precheck if they would only give it to people with a TTN, not more giving it out to random or to people just because they have kids or are over a certain age (who IME are the worst ones about slowing the line down) and I'm sure anyone who flies regularly would be willing to. That would still come out to only $1.25 a flight for those that only fly 1 RT a month and a lot less for your typical flyertalker.

Seeing it's a benefit with a lot of credit card companies I don't see that happening though.
Well of course the proper thing to do is to direct people to the Übermenschen line at whatever rate maximizes total checkpoint throughput. The Übermenschen line takes less time per passenger and so moving people from the regular line to that line increases total throughput, which is more efficient and safer. All that's needed to educate people about what to do is for the TSA clerks to be taught to use their indoor voices. I personally have not seen any "clueless passengers" in front of me in the Übermenschen line, but I have been ALONE in that line at JFK T4 from the time I got to the document checker to the time I came out, and that is a disgrace and a waste of government resources. And it endangers passengers, because whatever threat exists is the threat of an attack on the checkpoint queue.