FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sudden drop in Uber rating
View Single Post
Old May 23, 2017, 4:02 am
Miami305

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by darkhound
Exactly.

Tipping is for service. Driving is a low-skill job that requires zero service, which is why they will all be replaced by driverless cars within 5 years, max. I just need a nice silent ride, and a computer can provide that perfectly.

The only exception is when the driver gets out to help with baggage or my stroller, but that is very rare.
Originally Posted by Explorer789
Not tipping does not somehow justify giving poor rating as an act of petty revenge. This makes the drivers guiltier imo.

Most of the time, drivers are just college students or middle-age adults just trying to make a few bucks on the side. They are hardly broke and most seem quite happy and friendly, which is why I just give a token 5% at most for a standard ride but not always.

Regardless of the monetary status of the rider, it is not our job to participate in this "trickle down economics" scheme while corporations get rich. If these blue collar workers do not like whatever they are getting paid, then they should be complaining to the company they work for or find another job.
Sigh.

Ok fellas.

You're right. Uber drivers are all doing this as a side hustle by choice, earning a few bucks to supplement their massive primary incomes.

Do yourself a favor and actually talk to a driver here or there. I've met more than my fair share who are really working their tails off to make a living. Yes they may be replaced by computers one day, but that doesn't mean they don't have a family to support right now.