FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Int'l SWU Denied for Arriving at the Gate "Too Late"?
Old May 22, 2017, 8:17 am
Always Flyin

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by arollins
The key part of this thread that has not been mentioned is if AA advised OP of the additional amount due for the upgrade, hence the need to be physically present. Was the OP aware of this? All he knew is to check at the gate for the upgrade. In all my dealings with AA regarding upgrades out of LHR & CDG, I've been told of extra fees due, however, I've already received the upgrade prior to the trip.
I was not told.

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
I think the main issue is that at CDG you need to pay the luxury tax. If you show up 5 minutes before boarding and the GAs are mid boarding everyone they don't have time to pause to process the upgrade.
Why doesn't AA publish this information?

If this happened domestically I would be upset. I generally just refresh my mobile boarding pass unless they clear right before boarding then I go grab my pass. At CDG getting an upgrade is a different animal and unfortunately if you're not aware you will get screwed like the OP.
How is a traveler supposed to know?

Chalk this up as a lesson learned and you get to keep a SWU! International upgrades are very valuable and I would be harassing the gate agents and letting know my presence if I thought there was a chance I would clear.
The lesson I learned is that AA doesn't give a hoot about any of its passengers, regardless of status.

I didn't want to keep a systemwide. I wanted to use it.

Most of my travel is paid business class. I have a flight in business to HKG on AA next month and am waitlisted for F using a systemwide. After that, AA won't be seeing much of my business. Most of my travel is international, where there are multiple choices. I don't need to put up with these customer unfriendly actions of AA.

AA used to blow UA out of the water. UA is now looking better, but I won't go back to that ex-wife unless they are the only convenient choice to where I am flying.

Due to the lack of competition between domestic carriers and status being much less important, my loyalty will be to the route--not the carrier.