FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Forced to check roller carry-on with lots of bin space open
Old May 21, 2017, 8:31 am
LarryJ

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
This is a difficult problem. By the time the F/As know that the bins are full, pass that info to us up front, we call it in to Ops, and Ops calls the gate, the jet bridge is filled with passengers with large carry ons that there is not room for. That causes delays at the end of boarding while a large quantity of bags must be checked.

If the agent is more proactive about checking bags earlier in the process they will surely end up checking bags that could have fit on board.

I don't know the solution. I think this is one of the intended operational benefits of BE fares but we've yet to really see how that will play out.

We now have the Boeing Space Bins in just over a dozen 737s and they will be in all future deliveries. They go a long way toward alleviating, if not eliminating, the problem. I've personally had a completely full 737-800 flight with space bins where there were no on board gate checks. That's a good start.

Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
Green tag your carry on - scan your b/p - head down the jet way - palm the tag - place your bag in the overhead --- There's more than one way to skin a cat! ^
No need to palm the green tag. I keep the same green tag on my bag until it starts falling apart.

The computer-generated white checked bag tags are another matter. Once they're printed the system knows about the checked bag. If it's not scanned "on" the bag handlers know that the bag is missing and will be waiting/looking for it.

My suggestion would be to ask the F/A at the boarding door if there is room for your bag in the overhead. If there is, the bag tag can be removed and sent back to the agent to be "un-checked" from the system. Might work best if you ask the agent if this is possible when the bag is being tagged.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 21, 2017 at 10:53 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member