FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Forced to check roller carry-on with lots of bin space open
Old May 20, 2017, 6:51 am
fastair

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by jonu
"Push" is actually an overstatement. It fit with a slight nudge. Standard TravelPro 21". Basically this is pure BS. GA was making all this up to get the plane out on-time or even early, but it was unwarranted. Basically making all standard 21" rollers gate checked starting in group 3 on a non-full flight. Totally complaint bag, not overstuffed. And then the threat to deny boarding.
I'm missing the logic of your logic. If there was plenty of bin space, how does stopping to enforce the rules, pausing to have you push your bag into the sizer, issue and affix a bag tag speed things up so they can get the flight out on time? If the flight and bins were going to be full, then yes, early checking of bags prevents the reverse flow of bags already on the plane with no space back to the jetway to be tagged which is a slow process, but in your stated scenery, this was not an issue. So how does the practice of stopping the boarding to enforce the rules in your case fit your statement that it was to push the plane out faster? As to totally compliant bag, with an extra inch given to you, your bag still didn't fit without extra force...seems to me it was larger by more than an inch in at least 1 dimension (usually the 9 inch side.)