FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Standby and Upgrade List
View Single Post
Old May 18, 2017, 4:40 pm
yyznomad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by philelite
Public upgrade list not in sync with gate list – almost didn’t get upgrade!

T-24h: Do online check-in for flight AC34 YVR-YYZ and select seat in Y cabin

T-23h: Call Concierge to see if they can comp-up me as a SE to PY cabin. There is another thread, but Concierge is offering PY seats (for SE) on domestic flights like AC34 where they aren’t offering PY service yet. I get confirmed in PY in seat 12K.

I’m thinking maybe my chances are good, because they are supposed to clear upgrades by cabin first and my BP says PY on it now.

T-1h: I’m 6th on the public upgrade list and there are 4 spots available. Not looking good.

T-45m: Upgrades are cleared and I’m now 2nd on the list and J is full. I go double check with the gate agent. She says I’m not on her list at all! She says it looks like it was a glitch because they moved me to PY. She apologies and says “sometimes we need to work around these glitches.” I monitor the public upgrade list as she downgrades someone else and then upgrades me in J.

Close one, but it’s always good idea to check with gate agent in situations like this to make sure you’re on the correct upgrade list.
Data point: Hold on - just yesterday I called the concierge to get put into the PY section of a domestic portion of an international route and I got denied. I checked the loads for the O cabin and it was wide open before I called. I was a never told that I had to be at the airport either.