FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]
Old May 18, 2017, 4:13 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sbrower
The hull carriers control the industry because, to my understanding, no commercial airplane moves, anywhere in the world, without hull insurance. So if the hull carriers say "No LiOn in the cargo bay" and if the security regulations say "no electronics in the passenger compartment" then that means that no electronics will fly (assuming exceptions will be made for airline operated equipment so that flight crews can still use their stuff).

I don't think they will want to go that far. On the other hand, it depends how credible the threat really is. Because, for the reasons stated, if the security regulators say "well, let's take a reasonable chance, we don't want to harm air travel" the hull carriers could still say "no LiOn devices on airplanes, anywhere, passenger or cargo" and then there would be a worldwide ban of electronics on planes.
It comes down to the reinsurance market.

But, for now, this is just about people just fishing for excuses to try to justify (or otherwise push in place) an expanded ban with insurance market as an excuse for that.

I haven't seen the hull insurance market evaporate for the carriers hit by the current US ban.