FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]
Old May 18, 2017, 3:07 pm
iad2jfk

Programs: Delta Skymiles (Silver), Hilton Honors (Diamond), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Clear, Nexus
So it sounds very much like a 100% screening requirement will be implemented, very soon.

I'm still hoping that the airlines will offer some sort of device concierge service; at the gate or at check-in. If the devices have to be screened with the other checked baggage, fine, but I'd prefer individually wrapped items, tamper proof wrapping so that I know no one has opened it in transit, and handling/distribution to passengers by airline staff actually matching the claim tickets. I'd even more prefer a process similar to firearms transport where it is screened in the presence of the passenger and padlocked in a case until it is claimed by the passenger.

Either that, or, an extra per-device fee levied to allow more than 1+1 devices through the checkpoint...the fees will go towards paying for extra screeners and machinery needed to handle the volume of devices. This gives a financial incentive to not bring or check electronics, but doesn't outright prohibit them so long as they are screened. Actually, I'm pretty sure airlines will be pushed into doing this, since any airline that doesn't will lose out in the race to attract business travelers.

I don't see how they can possibly have this up and running by the end of the month...surely there needs to be a good chunk of time to train staff, implement airline-specific procedures, and inform the public of the new rules.