FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best dual sim phone?
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2017, 6:32 pm
stockmanjr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I have an Axon 7 North American edition as a second phone. Actually I keep going and back between it and my iPhone 7. I really want a dual 7 but the Apple ecosphere and my wife keep pulling me back to the iPhone 7. Since there is no dual SIM iPhone (yet) I will avoid that sidetrack.
The Axon 7 is a great phone for the money. The NA edition supports a number of LTE bands on one active SIM and all the HSPA bands on the other which makes it a great travel phone. It charges quickly with the factory charger, has great sound, and a pretty good camera though I think it is a little weak in low light situations.

Axon is prompt with System upgrades and is not ignoring the phone yet, but I expect a sucessor may be coming out soon. It is an aluminum construction unibody device which feels premium and has a good hand size. It has great audio fidelity and supports HD voice on many carriers on one SIM, supports TMobile wifi calling, and other features. The phone is a quick charger.
The Axon 7 has a relatively pure Android feel, but some of the apps such as Mail and Calendar have been swapped out with their equivalents. It also has a non-Chrome browser as a second browser cooked into the firmware. There is not a tremendous amount of bloat and the Google Play Store is factory installed.

As a travel phone, I wish Axon had enabled VOIP dialing in the native dialer. Third party VOIP applications work just fine but the integration is not as nice. I've had a harder time making a VOIP dialer work in place and stead of the original dialer for some apps, e.g. calling out of Google Assistant. In addition to the Google Assistant, the Axon has its own which is handy for unlocking the phone on voice recognition, but Google's assistant is far better.
Thanks! Ended up buying a one plus 3T as it turned out to be the same plus when I added tax onto the Axon 7.
Cheers
Howie