FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]
Old May 17, 2017, 2:32 pm
jspira

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Actually, most restaurant reviewers don't do that. Since they want to preserve anonymity, they don't order more than what one person would reasonably eat. They will make a few visits and do not taste everything on the menu.
Ruth Reichl was able to maintain her anonymity thanks to her wigs and disguises. Many restaurant critics' actual pictures are posted in the kitchens of better restaurants and, even if not recognized the first or second visit, they are outed by the third in many cases.

Most restaurant reviewers that i know (and this includes several for the Times and other major publications) take one or two dining companions with them, making several visits. They share (not uncommon today versus 15-20 years ago) and pass plates around. They also photograph what they are eating (again, not uncommon but something I felt would out me when I would have my restaurant critic hat on even five or six years ago).

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
You think Gordon Ramsay and Anthony Bourdain finish every meal they taste on TV?
Neither is a restaurant critic although I'm not sure if you intended to imply that based on what you previously referred to or not.