FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Malaysia Airlines + KLM + Overland Trip to Thai Border
Old May 17, 2017, 12:45 am
anak_negeri

Programs: GarudaMiles, KrisFlyer, FlyingBlue
Part 3: Kuala Lumpur - Penang by intercity bus + night in Penang

It was Valentine's Day. I checked out my room at First World Hotel and leave the Genting Highland by cable car and bus. Before that, I bought a famous "Durian Goreng" for my breakfast.

Unfortunately the weather was not good enough to enjoy beautiful scenery outside the cable car.

The bus arrived at Gombak LRT Station. From here I hop trains to TBS terminal, with a transit at Masjid Jamek Station.

Then I arrived once more at TBS, to hop the express bus to Butterworth, Penang. The bus operator was "Pancaran Matahari" (literally means "sunshine"), with final destination at Kuala Perlis, the boat jetty to Langkawi Island.

The 360-km journey took about 5 hours through the North-South Expressway, including stops in Duta Bus Terminal to take some passengers and a toilet break at Sungai Perak Rest Area.

Hentian Duta, a smaller intercity bus terminal at the northern side of Kuala Lumpur, serving routes to northern peninsular Malaysia.

North-South Expressway.

Sungai Perak Rest Area, located near Kuala Kangsar, royal capital of Perak State.

Arriving at Butterworth, a town across Penang Island.

From Butterworth, I took a ferry to Georgetown, Penang Island, where I would stay that night. I enjoyed the sunset here. Very nice to see.

From the ferry harbour, I took the free bus to the WeLuv Travel Guesthouse.

Arriving at the guesthouse, I was greeted by the owner. He was very friendly and helpful. He informed me great places to eat and visit in Penang.

After resting myself for a while, I went outside to have my dinner. I decided to eat "kway teow", a Penang-style rice noodles, at Sin Guat Keong coffee shop located on Kimberley Street. The fried "kway teow" contained eggs, prawns, and tauge (beansprouts).

The night in old city of Georgetown seems very calm.

*Don't be surprised if you find places in Malaysia with English names, like Georgetown, Butterworth, Port Dickson, etc. Malaysia had been colonized by English for more than 200 years, and it's currently a member of Commonwealth. You will find strong presence of English heritage in Penang and Malacca, both of them listed as World Heritage Sites.

Last edited by anak_negeri; May 17, 2017 at 8:41 pm