FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]
Old May 16, 2017, 9:20 am
aacharya
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by icydog
I forget who goes first

I used 20k miles to upgrade to first from RSW to EWR on my inbound flight. I did the same for EWR to RSW.

I didn't get upgraded on the way down while elites did. What's the order of upgrades the week before I fly and at t-24? Thank you.
Those elites ahead of you might've used an instrument for XXX-EWR, and hence were ahead of you as mileage upgrades and RPUs/GPUs are the same priority.

The only thing that changes with this is the gate list, which also factors in time of check-in. So zero difference in priority a week out or T-24.

If those elites were not GS or 1Ks on YBM tickets, or unsupported, then something was amiss.

The following is the order of priority for upgrades, within four days of departure, on flights that are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades:

Premier 1K members on eligible Y-, B- and M-class fares: Premier 1K Instant upgrades that weren't confirmed in advance are prioritized by fare class
All travelers on waitlisted Global Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards: Prioritized by Premier status of the traveler, then fare class and then time of request.
All remaining Premier members: Prioritized by Premier status of the traveler, then fare class and then award travel.