FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]
Old May 16, 2017, 4:37 am
GrayAnderson

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Shipping/FedEx/DHL/etc.
I'm going to hazard a guess here, but depending on the option chosen I suspect that some airlines might offer some sort of "secure shipment" program with guaranteed 24-hour delivery, heightened insurance levels, and any security work to either be done at the time the device is handed over [1] or, if not then, only with a warrant/court order (or something like that) complementary to pax in J/F and for a fee in Y (or complementary in F and for a fee in J/Y). Back in "the day" it was not at all uncommon for railroads to offer something like this (sans the security stuff) if you were traveling on a train with no checked luggage (and indeed, you can still do something like this on Amtrak under the right circumstances). I want to say that "send the luggage on a later flight" deals might also have been done with the Concorde.

To be fair, this won't avoid the issue of having a bunch of laptops on a single cargo flight, but it's better than nothing and I do suspect that given a set of guarantees and controls this would work for most folks. The main jam would be Customs, but even there I could see some sort of agreement coming to pass kludging around that. CBP might not like it but I suspect that depending on the attached T&C something could be worked out (perhaps requiring an in-person pickup instead of home delivery).

[1] Which would probably mean, in practice, most of the PEDs having to go through a "swabbing ceremony" at that point...but as noted in a Bloomberg article, there are folks who will go through a lot of hassles to avoid risking their stuff being hacked.