FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MB European Delivery Program – An Adventure on Wheels
Old May 15, 2017, 10:22 pm
allset2travel

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Part 9 Innsbruck, Austria

Innsbruck is where the mountains meet the valley. It is the Alpine-urban settings that attract tourists by the thousands here all year round. It is the capital of winter sports. All other seasons, it still attracts tourists like flowers attract bees. I came here this time for the old town architecture and some of her churches. The strudels are also in my mind!

The Hilton Innsbruck has great location and has an underground garage. These are the only redeeming values about this hotel. The rooms (at least the one I was in) are tired and badly in need of a make-over. Not having an executive lounge isn’t a problem for me, as it does offer Elites breakfast in the restaurant. The breakfast was OK.

Hilton Innsbruck: room

Hilton Innsbruck: breakfast

Innsbruck is such a walkable city and rather compact in size. Beyond the usual tourist attractions, we went across the Inn River and checked out the colorful houses and the small Pfarramt Mariahilf with its remarkable altars. This church though small, but has a rich history. The altars and the pulpit were the work of sculptor Urban Klieber.

Innsbruck: strolling around this compact but quaint city.

Innsbruck in B&W

Innsbruck: take a ride on the NordkettenBahnen.

Innsbruck: Pfarramt Mariahilf outside

Innsbruck: Pfarramt Mariahilf sanctuary & altar

Good Eats in Innsbruck.

No visit to Innsbruck is complete without savoring a strudel in the legendary Kroll.

Strudel in Innsbruck - at the legandary Kroll. “Die größte Strudelauswahl der Stadt”.

On the final night at Innsbruck, we ventured out at night to capture some shots near the Inn River. The houses across the river along Mariahilstrasse looked pretty cool with the reflection of the river. It was dark, and there was not another soul nearby. So I quickly setup, fired away a few dozen shots and wrapped up. On the way back to the hotel, old town area was kind of quiet around 10pm, only the bars seemed still opened.

Innsbruck at night - the Inn River

Next up: Long road trip to Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland. But wait, we will stop to see some sights in Tirol.

Stift Stams: Once home of the Cistercian monks