FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bold deception - Budget Agent
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2017, 2:18 pm
bkco88

Programs: SWA CP, HH Diamond
Bold deception - Budget Agent

Some context - I have rented over 20 times this year, nearly every time with National or Hertz. I always decline all coverage, gas, etc. Sorry for the long read in advance.

Rented with Budget for the first time this past weekend. Had a friendly conversation with the agent, rented intermediate but received a Dodge Journey- fine, sounds good. Then it got a little weird.

Agent: Okay, and we'll make sure to add the prepaid gas here.
BKCO: No thank you, I'm all set and will fill it up before returning
Agent: Sir, unfortunately the company has mandated this service now
BKCO: What? I have never heard of that in any other rental company
Agent: I know it's annoying but you can bring your receipt and get it reimbursed. It's a new policy here at Budget that corporate has told me I must apply.
BKCO: Really? So I have no other option but to prepay the fuel to rent?
Agent: No, sorry

At that point I needed to leave and honestly did not know if it was a crazy new policy that Budget had put in place, having never rented with them before. Perhaps a little naivety on my part.

I return the car and speak to a manager - he says "No, this was not mandatory at all. Maybe some retraining required". I was refunded but peeved at the fact that an agent could be so brazen in their deceit.

Does anyone know the details around quotas, commission, etc when up-selling these services? Would love to get some insight from behind the counter.