FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada bumps man off flight, separating him from girlfriend
Old May 15, 2017, 10:19 am
Clipper801

Originally Posted by simpleflyer
Passengers with Chinese names have reported being confused as to how to ensure their name is correctly entered on their tickets so as to match their ID.

https://travel.stackexchange.com/que...d-of-full-name

I am of course guessing, but if this was the case here, and if the guy indeed arrived at the airport (not the gate) only 60 minutes ahead of time, i.e. with only 15 minutes to clear security, get to gate, line up for boarding, etc. etc. then I can see the possibility of there not being sufficient time for the GA to resolve any confusion before the waitlist started to clear, with his seat being shown as available to the waitlist.

The next available flight with the earliest arrival time at destination involved an overnight. The issue is whether the delay that occasioned this itinerary was wholly down to to AC or at least partially originating with the passenger. Impossible to tell from info given in article.
AC's system is incapable of handling hyphenated name. If your name is xxx-yyy, you must enter as xxxyyy in one word. However, your ID may be xxx-yyy and it could create an issue because technically, it does not match.