FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada bumps man off flight, separating him from girlfriend
Old May 15, 2017, 10:10 am
simpleflyer

Originally Posted by smallmj
I agree with most of the posters here, even when they have trouble agreeing with each other.

2) If some customers with Chinese names have trouble entering their name correctly (as simpleflyer suggested), then AC needs to fix the system to make it clearer and easier. If the system is too euro-centric then something is wrong.
I may have caused confusion myself here. First, other people of various ethnicities have also reported confusion as to how to enter their names given those names are supposed to match what is on their passports. For example, should they try to enter their middle name or not? So my mentioning Chinese names, specifically, might have just muddied the waters. Either way I agree that during ticket purchase the customer should be presented with examples, so as to help them get it correct.

But also, as someone else pointed out, an identity issue shoudn't just surface at the gate as the person has already shown i.d. to security. So my guess was probably wrong for that reason alone.