FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread
Old May 14, 2017, 7:35 am
AlwaysAisle

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mmamminna
So... should I stick to Narita then only overnight and get a hotel? Thanks so much! I sorta wanted to see Tokyo.........!!!
I was not sure what you really want to do at Tokyo. “Mingle around” was too vague of expression for me to figure out what is your interests.

4 p.m. arrival at NRT means you will arrive at central area of Tokyo past 6 p.m., likely around 7 p.m., then you will start to hit the town. Do you want to go drink at bars, have Japanese meals, museums, take in a scene of Shibuya, Roppongi, etc. where usually seen on tourist guide book…?

Pretty much above things will end around 12 midnight to 1 a.m., you may start to get the feeling that things are starting to wind down past 11 p.m. Which means you have about 4 hours to see around Tokyo. Question is, if you are not planning to get a hotel room, what is your plan from 12 midnight to 10 a.m. departure at NRT?

Yes, as I mentioned before there are area of Tokyo remain kind of active with clubs open, but that likely will not be inexpensive option. Other things mentioned are 24 hrs. onsen spa, Manga Kissa (24 hrs. Japanese cartoon (manga) book reading facility with semi-private walls where you can take a nap), These are suggested as a place to take a nap if you are not planning to get a hotel room, not a place to be active and be social with people. Do you think you can stay wake all night long?

For tuna auction at the fish market, if your arrival to NRT is on Saturday then will be no go as the fish market is closed on Sundays. If your arrival to NRT is on Tuesday then the fish market is closed on about half of Wednesdays, want to check the date. The tuna auction is first coms first serve basis. What I heard is that first person may start to form a line around 2 a.m., definitely by 3 a.m. a line will be forming. Again, what will you do from 12 mid night to 3 a.m.?

Bottom line, if you want to go to central area of Tokyo then get a hotel room in central area of Tokyo. You will have about 4 hours at Tokyo to look around and take in the sight of the town. If you want to throw in tuna auction at the fish market then getting a hotel room may not make sense, but has to figure out what to do from around 12 midnight to 3 a.m. Just wandering around outside around Tokyo till tuna auction is not recommended.