FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old May 13, 2017, 9:58 pm
darthbimmer

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Travellin_man
[Having reached LT Plat status should I...]

1) Stay where I like within the Marriott/SPG envelope, enjoy all the benefits, collecting Platinum bonuses etc, and trying to hit whatever periodic bonuses arise just to bank points for future use.

2) Build up my SPG stays, in case the merger is some weird averaging of the Marriott and SPG status.

3) Status match somewhere, I guess realistically Hilton, and start building status there.

4) Stretch out, stay wherever I want, including cute little non-chains hotels, knowing I can always run to the Marriott/SPG mothership whenever I need to.

5) Worry that Marriott might introduce an uberPlatinum level in the future and keep mindlessly accumulating nights and points just in case.....
I suggest a combination of 1 and 4, plus maybe a tiny bit of 3.

Make #1 your first option. Having earned LT plat status you should take advantage of the benefits by staying with MR when reasonable.

Keep #4 in mind because sometimes MR properties have weak offerings or high prices relative to other hotels in the market. Now that you're freed from chasing status there's no pressure to stay with MR when their benefits aren't worth the costs.

Finally, #3 . It's worth increasing your options by having status in a second chain-- but only if you can maintain at least mid-tier status. Getting silver somewhere else isn't worth forgoing MR/SPG plat benefits on your stays. Also, if you do pursue a second program, I don't know that Hilton is the right choice. It depends on what you need when MR/SPG don't fit the bill.