FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Now I've seen it all on Amtrak
View Single Post
Old May 13, 2017, 8:41 am
ibrandsguest

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by fastflyer
What is the board's opinion of noise in sleeper cars? My occasional experiences (like once per year) on long-haul sleeper cars is that they should be a place of quiet like the Acela quiet cars. Not absolute silence, but generally quiet.

I just disembarked from the Southwest Chief, and for most of the way from Albuquerque to Kansas City, an adult woman (presumably the grandmother) and a 8-10 year old boy "played" in the corridor and around the staircase. This included a lot of shouting and running. At least three times I had to ask to get around them (they were blocking the access to the dining car or bathrooms), and at 10pm last night I finally said something directly to be quiet, as people were trying to sleep. They were at it again by 6am today.

I talked about it with the sleeper attendant, but she said there was nothing she could do. FWIW, she was of the "passive" attendant school -- my best experiences have been with the more active attendants.

Anyhow, what is the correct etiquette for this situation, and what is Amtrak policy around disruptive passengers?
For the sky-high price I pay for sleeping car space on Amtrak, I expect general peace and quiet, although not total silence.

I consistently get terrible customer service on the Crescent. The staff simply does not care about providing good customer service and views passengers as an inconvenience, so I wouldn't expect the staff to do anything about noisy passengers. So I'd confront the noisy passengers myself.