FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice on CAI and HNL please
View Single Post
Old May 13, 2017, 5:31 am
Land-of-Miles
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Until a couple of years ago I did a lot of ex CAI trips. CAI hotels are generally crap even the luxury brands. I have always stayed at the IC Citystars which keeps you out of the mass of downtown CAI, reasonably close to the airport and gives a reasonably nice environment for a stay being a proper western hotel, however it is looking a little frayed around the seams these days.

My pick in CAI now is the Meridien at the airport it is a fab place and you could easily imagine yourself in a nice location rather than CAI which is frankly a shithole. Then if you want to go downtown for any reason (and apart from the Egyptian museum I wouldn't bother), the pyramids are a particular disappointment and involve you fighting off aggressive camel and horse rental merchants.

My pick in HNL would be the Royal Hawaiian of the chain properties (none are great) or possibly a tower room at the Moana. In OGG I would go for the Sheraton if you have any Starwood status (and perhaps if not) I really liked the Lahaina side of the island, rent a car for transfers and do the road to Hana as an experience. I haven't really spent any time in Wailea however and there is probably something to be said for the Andaz.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; May 13, 2017 at 6:17 am