FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]
Old May 12, 2017, 4:13 pm
Nothlit

Departing for Italy (from BOS via LHR) on May 22, returning June 4. I feel like a pretty average tourist with the following devices: iPhone, iPad, mirrorless camera with 2 lenses, and an external USB battery pack to keep everything charged during long days of sightseeing. I also haven't checked a bag (domestically or internationally) in years and don't want to start now. These days I travel with a full-size carry-on backpack, which is soft-sided so not really appropriate for protecting fragile devices if I have to check it. I'm going to be super annoyed if this ends up impacting my trip, but just to be safe I went ahead and ordered a Pelican micro case for the camera in the event that I have to check it inside the backpack. Without knowing for sure ahead of time whether the iPad would be allowed in the cabin on the way home, I may just end up leaving it at home, which is incredibly frustrating but not a deal breaker. Worse comes to worst, I'd just abandon the USB battery pack on the way home. It only cost $20 or so.

I don't see how this policy is tenable for the long run, yet I feel completely powerless in the face of it. I'm not sure that complaining to congress members will help... they tend to defer to the security apparatus on matters like this.