FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Paris Opera {FRA} (France)
View Single Post
Old May 12, 2017, 8:39 am
whimsey21

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
So I'll answer my own questions from the previous post...
I just got back from a 3 night stay at the property, and was very happy with the property. I had booked a deluxe room, and was a bit disappointed that the app didn't show any upgrades up 'til the time I arrived, despite rooms in all categories showing availability for booking. I checked in and the desk staffer pulled out my folio and keys, so I asked if they had any diamond upgrades. She looked a bit surprised (like this hadn't occurred to her), but then started typing away. After a few minutes she said that she was upgrading me to a suite, and asked if I'd prefer a view or a quiet inward facing room-- I asked for the latter. My suite (I assume it was the basic suite, as it was basically one very large room) was great. Lots and lots of space, very well appointed and comfortable, with excellent climate control. The bathroom was also quite large, with a heated floor and a walk in shower (great water pressure). I thought the public areas of the hotel were very "grand" - it definitely felt like being in a luxury property.
Also at check-in I was given a sheet listing the Diamond benefits, including exec lounge access and 2 bottles of water. They stuck to the latter quite literally- I had 2 bottles in the room, and they were not replaced once empty. The desk staffer told me there would be a points charge for using the restaurant instead of the lounge; later the restaurant staffer told me this was not the case. I found the lounge a bit small and not overly nice, so I stuck with the restaurant. Their breakfast was quite extensive; in addition to the standard items, they had liege waffles, excellent cheeses, a very large selection of "Bonne Maman" jams (about 20 varieties), and a self-service leg of Iberico ham. The only thing lacking were the pastries-- only 3 types (croissants, pain au chocolate, and an apple filled pastry), and not very good considering we were in Paris. Still, it was a great benefit, especially considering the walk-up charge (posted outside of the restaurant) was 30e pp.
As mentioned earlier, the lounge was a bit small. It is open from 6:30am-8pm, with breakfast from 6:30-10am and evening drinks from 6-8pm. I stopped in twice in the afternoon - both times they had soft drinks, water, candy, and apples available. The first time, there were some empty plates on the buffet suggesting they may have had some food; the second time there was a plate of brownies and an apple tart (quite good). I visited once in the evening, and they had some cheese, bread, two salads, a dessert item, and wine (red, white, and rose). The lounge was definitely better than nothing, but I didn't feel like the selection or quality were up to the standards of the rest of the property.
The last night I was there, the property also hosted a "wine tasting" in the bar for hhonors members. They had 3 types of Alsatian wines, as well as a few different hors d'oeuvres (much better than in the lounge). I thought this was a nice gesture, though the actual event did feel a little weird, as several hotel managers were going around greeting some guests very warmly with great fuss, while ignoring others (myself included) completely. I'd likely skip such an event in the future if one takes place during a stay.
The location isn't as central as I would have liked, but was quite reasonable. The property is practically on top of the Gare Lazare metro station, and is just over a 5 minute walk to the Galleries Lafayette. There is also a Pain Quotidian branch in the building, with an entrance directly into the lobby of the hotel.
Overall, I was very pleased-- the hotel was very comfortable, and treated me well as a Diamond. I'm going to be back in Paris in a few weeks, and have booked it for a return stay.