FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]
Old May 12, 2017, 8:05 am
mikex163

No, the discussion was about Instagram (post #3145 ). I wasn't the one that started it either.
And I seriously doubt that the FTC has jurisdiction even if part of a promotion took stage in the U.S. There are plenty of stuff being promoted in social media in other countries that has stuff filmed (photographed, etc.) in the U.S. And of course none of them have any disclosures complying to FTC rules - it made me remember once when the MPAA went to Portugal and got an agreement with the "local MPAA" that they would start sending letters to people who downloaded movies that these people had to pay a "fine" (to them, of course) or be taken to court; one hour later, a consumer protection organization came out and said "well, that's blackmailing, and it might involve hacking otherwise they wouldn't know who downloaded what, so if anyone receives any such letter, please let us know so we can sue them"; the next day the Parliament was involved; and that was it, never heard about it anymore (because they gave up, that is).

Depending on the arrangement between OMAAT and Daniel (?), in that case, yes, it might be a problem. But if Daniel was a non-US person with no right to work in the U.S. just doing one-offs for OMAAT (plenty of cases like that in social media, because having the right to work in the U.S. is very difficult, but paying you to speak/do a promotion/etc. is relatively easy), I doubt that it would every apply to him as well; or enough to make the FTC care at least.

But, moving on as you said, if you have something to say to Ben, why don't you say it to him? I thought this topic was to discuss the blog, no what anyone wants to say to him (but apparently thinks this is the way to do it?).