FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - early thoughts on a trip (March 2018)
View Single Post
Old May 10, 2017, 10:33 am
WorldLux

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by blitzen
Just got tickets for March so I will have a lot or research to do.
Book everything well in advance. IIRC March is usually very busy.

ANA Intercontinental (one paid one free weekend night in a club level room)
IMO an average hotel. Not bad, not outstandingly good. Rooms were clean, staff friendly, breakfast excellent.

03/25 Sunday Train to Kyoto for a few days
^ But don't forget that Tokyo has lots to offer too. Kamakura, Nikko are all within reach from Tokyo. There are many shrines in Tokyo that are worth a visit.

Train to Osaka for a couple of days
While Osaka is nice, I don't think that it is necessary to spend a couple of nights there just after spending a couple of nights in neighboring Kyoto. Rather than changing hotels there, I'd probably more nights in Kyoto (You can do Nara from there as well).

On my first trip to Japan (already quite some time ago), I visited Nara on a day trip from Kyoto and traveled the next day to Hiroshima (stopping of at the Himeji castle). I spent 1 night in Hiroshima, visited the peace park the next morning continued by train to the Itsukushima Shrine and from there to Osaka.

Another rather popular trip is the one to Mt. Koya and sleeping a night in a buddhist temple. Can be done from Osaka.

Does the routing sound reasonable or should we go another way? Any stop on the way? Does a JP Rail pass make sense for the above?
You could leave Okinawa out given that you'll have enough to see and discover on Honshu. That said, Okinawa may be an interesting way to end your trip in Japan: While it is relatively cold on Honshu, you'll probably be able to enjoy a couple of summer weather in Naha.

If you only travel Tokyo->Osaka/Kyoto oneway, a rail pass makes AFAIK no sense. BTW: If you include Okinawa in your trip remember that JL and NH have air passes if you arrive in Japan on a *S or OW airline. IIRC the price of a flight segment is 90-100$.