FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hertz Minor Damage Dilemma - no CDW
View Single Post
Old May 10, 2017, 6:56 am
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Strawb
Just like to get some advice from experienced drivers as I have never been in this situation before. Last weekend I hired a car in Majorca, Spain and on the way back to the airport I was involved in a very minor collision with a van.

About 20 mins from the airport I was rather tired and struggled to keep my eyes open (I had a very late night the previous night and woke up far too early). The next thing I know I heard a loud scrape and opened my eyes in a jolt. I had clipped the rear bumper of the van in the offside lane. Hardly any damage to the van, however, my front offside alloys were scratched and blackened and there was a little scratch to the offside bumper below the door mirror, which was knocked back but didn't sustain any damage.

When I picked up the car I declined the CDW to reduce the excess (750€) to zero. I used my Amex which Hertz put a 150€ hold on it instead of a much higher amount than if I hadn't used Amex. I didn't use my Amex Platinum, which would have fully covered the excess, as it had expired so I didn't have 3rd party cover.

I can now see that Hertz has charged me the 150€ and in addition 207€ for the damage. Is this correct? I thought the 150€ was just a pre-authorisation. Also is there any further charges they can impose if the driver claims? Thanks for any advice.
Did the Amex card which you did use on this rental not have free CDW coverage? Some do, some don't.

As to the damages to the other vehicle or injuries to the other driver, don't rentals in Spain automatically include third-party liability coverage?