FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pay to Upgrade to first lounge
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2017, 10:26 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by yabadoo
Seems that over the last 3 years EY has shown itself to be a victim of its own success. Since 2003, management has expended significant effort in building up its brand through addition of new destinations, pioneering service and inflight product as well as well trained staff and a robust frequent flyer program for premium passengers. Slowly, like a block of Lego, they have been pulling back and dismantling what management built up over the years, thus eroding brand loyalty and stickiness of consistent premium flyers. As a result, this has lead to significant dilution to what the EY brand offers and what it stands for.
It is understood that in a competitive environment, a commercially run business has to continue to innovate and make adjustments to stay ahead of the game, however in the case of EY I wonder how much impact these decisions and initiatives to slowly pare back vaulable benefits that were afforded to premium passengers are going to have in the medium and long term in retaining loyalty of its premium passengers. Getting and keeping a loyal following of premium passengers is an expensive business, and once these passengers leave, its near impossible to get them back. I was a loyal EY fan for years, but have not flown with them for over 2 years now and have no intention to unless I have no choice, in my view their service has deteriorated (more on the ground than in the air) and become inconsistent and patchy.
Their lack of on-going competitive pricing doesn’t help either. Therefore, I have one EY F flight booked for the rest of 2017. I have many QR J/F flights booked in 2017.