FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Now I've seen it all on Amtrak
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2017, 2:51 pm
theddo

Originally Posted by fastflyer
What is the board's opinion of noise in sleeper cars? My occasional experiences (like once per year) on long-haul sleeper cars is that they should be a place of quiet like the Acela quiet cars. Not absolute silence, but generally quiet.

I just disembarked from the Southwest Chief, and for most of the way from Albuquerque to Kansas City, an adult woman (presumably the grandmother) and a 8-10 year old boy "played" in the corridor and around the staircase. This included a lot of shouting and running. At least three times I had to ask to get around them (they were blocking the access to the dining car or bathrooms), and at 10pm last night I finally said something directly to be quiet, as people were trying to sleep. They were at it again by 6am today.

I talked about it with the sleeper attendant, but she said there was nothing she could do. FWIW, she was of the "passive" attendant school -- my best experiences have been with the more active attendants.

Anyhow, what is the correct etiquette for this situation, and what is Amtrak policy around disruptive passengers?
Correct etiquette is opening the door and throwing them out without slowing down. People need to understand that you shall show at the very least some consideration when you are using public transport.

It will not be absolute quiet and kids will make sounds. But there are limits.