FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stingy drinks service
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2017, 10:54 am
irish_goat

Programs: BAEC
Stingy drinks service

Recently flew economy YYZ-LHR (AC 868) with Air Canada. First issue I had was the onboard entertainment system wasn't working for half the plane so they did a few reboots, phoned Toronto and eventually rebooted the entire plane's entertainment system to get it working. This took 1 hour 30 mins so I was a bit bored. The drinks service began around 1hr 15 mins in so I ordered a beer, then the food service and then 1 more drinks service after the trays were cleared and I had a gin and tonic then. About 3 hours into the flight the lights had been dimmed and most people were settling down to sleep so I called down to the galley to ask for another 2 beers for myself and my girlfriend and the crew member refused me and said I had only gotten my gin and tonic 30 mins ago. Her words "we can't let you get drunk in case you get turned away by customs at Heathrow". I told her that was extremely unlikely as I'd only had 2 drinks to which she replied I could get another drink in an hours time. I wouldn't mind, but I ordered a glass of water with every drink as well so I was definitely nowhere near drunk. I made her get me a beer for my girlfriend anyway as she hadn't gotten one earlier and the look on her face was pure stone. Another passenger down by the galley had heard the interaction and asked me as I was in the aisle what her problem was. He was as in as much disbelief as me. I was totally embarrassed as there were several other passengers milling around, waiting for the toilet and getting drinks there as well.

Needless to say I didn't bother going back up after my allotted hour to beg her for another measly 330ml can of beer.

Is this normal? Anyone experienced this sort of behaviour before? I flew Lufthansa on the way over and they couldn't give out more drink if they tried. Don't know whether a complaint will be worth my time either.