FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CDG - BOG - Eco or PE (on AF's A340-300)?
Old May 9, 2017, 10:40 am
HeartFist

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
CDG - BOG - Eco or PE (on AF's A340-300)?

Hello everybody,

While I am not new to flying I am new to this forum so a short intro: a German in his mid 20s usually based in MUC/NUE, I am on delegation this year and hence based in Paris / CDG. As of mid June I will become FB Gold for the first time while I had been FB Silver since 2015.

For my annual leave I am planning to visit Colombia in September and therefor wanting to fly to Bogotá. I had been checking the prices more or less regularily the last weeks but have to wait for a friend's confirmation to join me or not.

Being based in a hub I am generally willing to pay a premium to a certain extent to get a direct flight with AF as oppossed to e.g. LH routing through FRA at a cheaper price. Last week the difference was at roughly 150€ (750€ AF vs. 600€ LH) which I would be willing to pay but this week the direct flight went up to almost 1000€ unfortunately. The latter price for Economy is in a price range that would allow me to pay a premium to get Premium Economy when starting from Germany (combining it with a visit in my home town), at roughly 1150-1200€ for PE via CDG. Of course it would also give me more FB miles.

Hopefully a not too lengthy introduction to my question (and also in the right sub-forum):
Is the extra charge worth considering switching from Economy to PE on AF's A340-300?
One comparison would be a roughly 600€ surcharge compared to LH and the other one a roughly 250€ surcharge compared to AF (for both taking into account the additional flight to get to Germany).

Of course only with Skyteam flights I will be able to make use from any FB Gold benefits I have.

I still haven't finalized my considerations and will keep checking the prices for the direct AF Economy flights.

Thanks and kind regards,
HeartFist