FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread
Old May 9, 2017, 8:26 am
MarkFlies

Originally Posted by missdimeaner
Much to my surprise an Ex Dub was an easy sell to my Mother, so easy that the DUB-LHR-JFK/JFK-LHR-DUB has been booked immediately.
This has left me with the resulting conundrum of postitioning flights etc. We will be travelling around Thanksgiving, I cannot be sure we will be HBO so my questions are as follows:

1. I am opting to postion to DUB the night before staying at the Maldron - can we walk to the airport from this hotel ?
2.We have a terminal change at LHR (T5-T3 as we are on AA for this leg), how easy is this to navigate - I have read the connections guide in the dashboard but am referring to signage etc.
3.As I really won't know until a couple of days before whether it will be possible to go HBO, we would leaving some time (Hours) between flights on the return LHR-DUB....DUB LHR how much would be adequate given we will probably have to collect bags (I was thinking that a Plus fare would enable time changes on the day to mitigate any excessive delays).

So - I cannot believe that I actually managed to convey the logic in going to Dublin just to come back again, I will get to check out AA J (booked middle seats row 3 on the 773) and just a big thumbs up to all who have gone before me ^^
1. It absolutely can be walked to the hotel. It's about 800 metres. Have you seen this page http://www.maldronhoteldublinairport...nd-directions/ ? If you have bags etc, you might prefer the shuttle especially when leaving the hotel as you can aim to be in the lobby for a timed departure. On arrival you might prefer to walk rather than waiting for the bus. From T1, go past T2 and follow the main road. The Google Maps aerial photos are current and street view will give some help.

2. There are loads of signs but there is a bit of a walk to get the bus. Follow purple signs for flight connections INT, show your boarding passes for onward flight - have them ready getting off your DUB-LHR flight. Once at the central part of the terminal follow purple signs for connections T2, T3, T4. You will see the UK border and connections T5 - ignore these. Then down escalator and find bus for T3 - all well signed. On arrival at T3, just again follow connections T3 signs to security - once on the right bus you can't go wrong. Fast track is available. Now you're in T3 departures.

At some stage you have to do the US security check. There will be AA agents just before you get on the bus and after. If you can fit this in here, you won't have to do it at the gate.