FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fit for the Runway - UA FA's to new uniforms & TUMI to be official luggage provider
Old May 8, 2017, 3:37 pm
qukslvr619

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't fly DL internationally often, but my domestic experiences have been night and day better than UA, and food is a specific area where Delta was outshining UA by a wide, wide margin. Operationally, I just chalk it up that everyone stinks - but how they handle issues is where the airlines stand apart. On my SEA LAX segment last week where DL served a full hot lunch with two choices in a massive, tray-table-bending serving on a mainline aircraft including a 'big screen' Delta Studio for IFE, our long delayed flight was handled by proactive rebooking and protection for impacted customers while we were in the air so no one had to scramble in a panic on arrival.

Another key difference - consistency. DL crews offer a more predictable, standardized service delivery with a consistently professional if not friendly attitude while my UA experiences are completely hit and miss, running from stellar to scary.

What this tells me is Delta has invested in product, training, technology and enablement - something that UA should have in spades, but unfortunately lacks by a wide margin.

If uniforms will help close this gap, I'm all for it - but for me, I just see lipstick being applied to a you-know-what. Also, unlike the burlap sacks AA bought for its crew members, sending them into sweaty, itching fits, I don't recall much complaining from UA crews about uniform quality.
First off, I'm not trying to come at this with a "you're wrong, UA is the best" attitude---they are far from it. Of course every flt, every experience can be different and I'm sure a lot of it depends on what markets you are flying as well. If you are comparing SEALAX, DL wins hands down...heck even WN is better than UA unless they finally scheduled mainline or E175s.

The bulk of my flying is STLSAN;
DL experience:
if I'm flying DL I'll route STLMSPSAN (I'll jump at any chance for a MD90). In my experience out of STL, DL 4 out of 5 times has been late/delayed but that usually is for flights leaving in the morning or afternoon. MSPSAN is a lunch/dinner flight and in the past 6 months the food being offered has gone downhill in both portion and quantity (eliminating the cheese and dessert sides). As for IFE, since usually its 319/320 or MD90s, I have my iPad so the Delta Studio is so-so (UA seems to have more free movie options) but it gets the job done.

UA experience
STLSFO is aircraft roulette 319/320/738/E-175. I prefer the Airbuses but the 738 or E-175 isn't that bad. Haven't had too many issues out of STL for delays, usually its exSFO. Food has been pretty good but the quantity seems to depends on whether it's double-catered as well. Either way it's usually a full hot meal. IFE is either wifi or DirectTV.

I guess when push comes to shove....I don't see that much of a difference. I've been delayed on both, I've been rerouted on both. Either way I haven't had either carrier go out of their way for me when it comes to IrregularOps. I've also carted 2 kids under 3 on both...maybe DL has an advantage because I can get special meals, but I can't say that either has been significantly that much better......ok well maybe DL wins for the MD90s....but then again MileagePlus award redemption isn't 60,000 miles for a one-way F like SkyMiles so the advantage is UA there.