FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)
Old May 8, 2017, 11:18 am
AwardBee

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by nabeelj
I'm not suggesting this is a good idea for everyone, but an interesting idea for those who are flush with Amex Canada Membership Rewards points and have 15K SPG to "spare":

- Transfer 150K Amex into 75K SPG
- Transfer 90K SPG to 270K Marriott
- Redeem 270K Marriot for a Cat 1-5 Travel Package, resulting in a 7 night stay and 120K AA
- Current AA 25% bonus promo (thru June 15th) means you'd actually get 150K AA
- Call Marriott after a few months and ask them to refund the Cat 1-5 7 night cert, there have been reports of people getting 45K Marriott back, which can be transferred back to 15K SPG. However, YMMV. Regardless, I think a 7 night Cat 1-5 stay is worth more than 15K SPG, so I'll call this a wash.

So, ignoring the 15K SPG and 7 night Cat 1-5 cert, you would be to transfer Amex Canada MR to AA 1:1.
Interesting strategy I hadn't thought of! AA's massive devaluation last year soured me towards their miles, even though cashing out Canadian Amex MR's 1:1 presents a relatively attractive value.

Has anyone managed to transfer Canadian MR to their US MR account? Even better than redeeming for airlines miles is getting 2cpm using the US Amex Business Platinum 50% rebate!